The fight for Justice. The Story of George Wells

Farmington, Mo- The family of George Well's has asked our office to provide the story of George Wells on our website and some photographs in order to put a face and person behind this case. Please find the attached story authorized by Mr. Well's family.

George’s Story

George Wells has not spent a Christmas with his family since 2003, he has missed 17 years of birthday parties, Fourth of July bar-b-ques, and Thanksgiving dinners at his Grandma’s house. These are just a few of the things that George will never get back. Although his Grandma, one of George’s closest family members, frequently visited George through the small glass window at the Missouri Department of Corrections, she never told him that she knew that she would have few visits remaining and on her last visit she confidently told George that one day someone would hear his story and he would be freed, this was her last visit and when she passed away George was unable to even attend her funeral, leaving him feeling angry and powerless, a feeling that he has experienced for the last 17 years in many different ways.

George cannot attend baseball games or family events with his children, the children whom he has stepped up and taken care of as his own kids with his fiancé Kathy. George and Kathy actually met while he was serving time in Eastern Missouri and after Kathy met George and heard his story she knew that she had to do whatever it would take to make sure George was freed.

George Well’s is not a murderer, he is not a thief, he is not a gangster or a thug, George Wells is one of the estimated 3-6,000 people wrongfully incarcerated in Missouri prisons. If George did anything wrong, it would be that he was simply the wrong skin color in the wrong place in the world, during a time was, and still is wrong. George was convicted of a murder he did not commit, and the majority white jury convicted him with no dna evidence, no motive, no connection to the crime. During the trial George’s defense put on witness after witness that testified that Mr. Well’s could not have been the suspect as he was miles away and had been dropped of there shortly before the crime occurred. Two of the three main witnesses for the state said at trial that they were wrong, that they misidentified George. One of the witnesses, Jerrick Jackson even wrote letters explaining that he was being coerced into saying George committed the crime, even today, 17 years later Mr. Jackson is still willing to testify that George Wells was not at the scene of the crime and that the story was fabricated, just as he had told the court during the trial. Arvette Ford, the dispatcher that mistakenly identified George admitted to the court that she was mistaken, it seems that the only evidence provide during his trial was the fact that one witness picked George out of a line-up, after she had given police a description of the suspect that did not match George, but this could be expected as it has been testified to that the Detective assigned to the case, the same detective that ‘spoke’ with Mr. Jackson had pointed to George in the lineup, to which George himself testified to witnessing.

More interesting is the fact that other individuals, on separate occasions admitted to the homicide, or the fact that even the victims own sister said she had a good idea of who might have been responsible for her brothers death, as he had reportedly been shot at before. No weapon was found, George could not wear a gold grill as witnessed described the shooter as wearing, George was left handed, while evidence indicates the shooter was right handed, even the other witnesses in the police report describe the suspect as being the same height as the victim, however George and the victim are far from the same height, the states own medical examiner verified this to the court.

It is unclear why George Wells was found guilty, but assumptions can be made. It is unclear why the court sentenced Mr. Wells to such a long sentence with such overwhelming evidence in his favor, and it is unclear as to why George has failed on all his previous attempts at release. What is clear is that George now has another opportunity under a Missouri Law, which allows for a Writ of Habeas Corpus based on his actual innocence. George now has another opportunity at freedom.

With the events in the world and the demand for justice, we do not condone violent protest or rioting, we believe that there are peaceful ways to correct injustices. George Well’s case is a perfect example of how we can peacefully use legal remedies to affect real world change. Please consider donating or helping our family if possible, as the road ahead is very long and will be an uphill fight.

--Statement on behalf of George Well’s family.

Our office is available for limited comment on this matter, however it would be noted that the family has asked this statement to be released. The information contained is their perspective. To read more about his case and to view the publicly disclosed case filings please feel free to check read the publicly available case information.